Tuesday, February 16, 2010

What the kids did while we were gone...

My amazing sister-in-law Katie watched the boys for me while we were on our cruise, and she sent me an email everyday of what they did that day and some pictures. So i wanted to put it in my blog because she basically wrote a little journal for me for the boys and since i print my blog i wanted to have this. So this really is for us but you can read if you want! I really do have the best family in the world, thank you katie and doug so much for doing this for me and for taking such good care of the boys, they had a blast!! Did I mention Katie has 3 boys of her own and is pregnant with the 4th and she managed to go above and beyond for me and the boys!!

DAY ONE:We were so excited to finally get the boys today. Lisa was wonderful to watch them all day they seemed like they had a great time. I went to get them and as I knocked on the door I heard Brigham say "Mommy" he tried to pretend that he was still excited to see me but inside I know he was disappointed. We didn't have time to do much else besides a quick dinner before Doug and I had to leave for our dinner group. We left the boys with my dad and he said they were wonderful. By the time we came home your boys were calling my dad "grandpa" it was so cute. We hurried to get jammies on and into bed. It had been a long day and everyone was tired. We read some books and climbed into bed. Of course Brigham, Parley and Boston wanted to sleep together. As you can see from the photo. But as you can imagine that only lasted about 10 minutes before we kicked Boston out and put him upstairs, everyone went right to sleep.




DAY TWO:Your boys slept in until 8:00! I couldn't believe it. I was so worried about them, I kept going to check on them. Turns out they like the dark basement. After breakfast I bathed all the boys and started the process of getting everyone ready for church. Doug had a smile on his face as he walked out the door for early morning meetings. He wished me luck and I knew he was laughing inside. They were all very helpful and got ready without a fuss, but let me tell you that's a lot of little white shirts to button and ties and shoes and socks to put on! Sacrament meeting was good. Busy. But good. Your boys were very reverent and quite. They folded their arms and behaved very well. Brigham was thrilled to go to nursery. Parley was thrilled to go to Boston's (and maddie, ella, Boston B. from preschool) class. I think he felt like it was preschool. They wanted to sing the hello song to Parley but he was feeling a little shy. So he invited Boston and Maddie to come up to the front with him.We had a good time after church celebrating Britt's birthday(again), playing outside and of course watching the super bowl! Brigham didn't get a nap today and by 6:30 he was asking for his blue binky and a nap. Can I just tell you that, that was the first time Briggy had, had his binky. He didn't even ask for it last night at bedtime but I felt bad for him so I gave it to him. And today he never even asked for it! I was so proud of him. He's growing up. However he has made it very clear that he does not want to get potty trained. Sorry Susie, he was quite certain about it.We gave Boston and Parley one more try at sleeping together. Tonight they are up in Boston's room and they went right to sleep (RIGHT next to each other). They are getting along great.


DAY THREE:Today we were able to enjoy quite a bit of time outside. The boys spent most of the later afternoon riding bikes and playing outside. They managed to find a small pile of snow and kept quite busy with that. Making a mess of themselves of course! Brigham hit Parley in the face this afternoon, Parley was so sad and was crying. I gave him a hug and he said "I want my mommy!" I love that in the time of comfort he wanted you. I tried the best I could but I knew he missed you. No offense but he got over it quickly and was back on his way playing with Boston. It has amazed me how hard they play. They go to bed exhausted every night! They get along great and have so much fun. Parley got mad at me three times today (I'm a slow learner) because I kept calling Boston a 'stinker' and he told me that, that was not a nice word and knew so because he had talked about it in family night. I use that word a lot, but I am trying really hard not to!We had a good time at family night tonight. your boys lead the music and let us participate in your tradition of singing songs. It was fun. FYI if Parley comes home with a bunch of crazy stories about purple grasshoppers, yellow frogs, skunks, etc. I'm sorry. Doug has been telling the boys stories every night before bed and they are getting a little wild. Parley is eating them alive. It's all he talks about. My boys are over the crazy stories. Doug was excited to have someone who was still interested. He's so cute!



DAY FOUR:The boys did not want to go to school this morning. They have so much fun just staying home playing together. I got them out the door and Briggy and I went grocery shopping. I hardly knew he was there! He was so quite and sweet. He just melts my heart. I think the only time he talked was to say that he wanted a treat. I just had to get him one, he was so good. We had lunch and put Briggy down for a nap. He goes to bed/nap soooo good, i'm always amazed. Boston and Parley went and got Maddie and her little sister to play with. They jumped, swung, rode bikes, played chalk and just had so much fun. I was really warm today and so refreshing to be outside. Parley and Brigham were so excited to see Britton and Hayden come home from school. My boys have loved playing with your boys. Three of Britt's friends called to play today but Britt told them No because his cousins were here. Britton read Brigham a book tonight and put him to bed. Briggy gave Britt a big hug and then took out his binky and gave Britt a kiss. Britt loved it.Scripture study was less than successful tonight. Inbetween Boston and Parley counting outloud all the words in the BOM and Brigham and Hayden trying to play football. Finally I looked at Doug and he just shut the book and we called it good. 5 little boys trying to hold still just wasn't happening! Can I tell you how amazing your boys are at prayers? Parley says the worlds sweetest prayers, and they fold their arms and close their eyes and are so reverent!! We make comments after every prayer how wonderful they are. Such good examples to my boys! We are loving having them here. I talked to Angie this morning. She said she was in love. You have wonderful kids.




DAY FIVE:I'm not sure why these boys don't get sick of each other? They play non-stop all day long. I don't know what poor Boston is going to do after Parley is gone. Today brought a whole lot of nothing. I kept suggesting things for us to do, but truthfully, they just love to play together. Maddie and Morgan (her little sister) spent all morning with us because their parents had a doctors appointment. Parley loves Maddie but really loves her little sister Morgan. He is so cute with her and is constantly giving her hugs and helping her. It is so sweet. We worked on a lot of Valentine's stuff for Boston and my other boys. They colored a lot today and were so creative. Parley is very careful in his colorings and is so patient with everyone else who isn't.It doesn't matter how many times I tell Brigham my name he ALWAYS calls me mom or mommy. It frustrates Parley to no end, and he reminds Briggy that I am not his mom every time he says it.Boston and Parley built a snow 'cave' today in all the melting snow. They came in soaking wet and muddy. You have to love this time of year when everything is melting. They were so pleased with themselves. And I was too, it entertained them for a good hour. We are loving having them stay with us they are a pure joy and delight.





DAY ?????I don't even know what day it is or when the last time I emailed you was. We have really settled into a schedule and it seems so natural for have 5 boys around all the time. They are a complete joy! The 3 youngest boys have had such a great time together and have such crazy imaginations and can pretend together all day long. They are amazing little sleepers and obey so well! They spent the afternoon with my mom so I could go to Britt's class and do his Valentine party. She fell in love with them. Parley and Briggy were both calling her grandma by the time I got there. Briggy was so happy when I came back. He came running over to me saying "Mommy's home, Mommy's home" he gave me a big hug. My mom laughed and said it's funny how we it's not who we are but what we do that defines us to a child. I took Brigham to Old Navy yesterday and he was such a delight. I honestly barely knew he was there. When we were finished I said, should we go home? He got a big smile on his face and said " mommy home from big boat?" He was so disappointed when I said no. He misses you, but makes due with the rest of us. He loves Britt and wants to be right by him all the time.Parley has been counting down days until it's a "WII day" (Friday) He has asked every day if it was and today when he asked and I said yes he was soooo happy. He and Boston and Britt played for a little while. He was so patient all week waiting to play. He was running outside today and tripped over his shoe and hit the ground right on his forehead. He got a pretty good bump. That was the first time either of them got hurt. I was amazed. Sorry about the bump. Maybe (hopefully) it will be gone by the time you get home!Thank you so much for sharing your boys with us this week. I have loved having them here. I honestly don't know what Boston is going to do when they are gone. I realized this week how much I have missed the business of little ones running around. I guess the grass is always greener on the other side, right? You are an amazing mother with a great deal of patients and love. It really shows in the way your boys act. They are wonderful. Thank you for trusting Doug and I and the boys with the care of Parley and Brigham this week. I have enjoyed every minute of it. Love, Katie
I had to put a few throw back pics in there. They are getting so big!!








(And this is an email I got from my sister angie while we were gone who was taking care of miss Ella for us!! I am so glad they decided to give her back although she was a little hesitant to come to us. I feel so blessed to have the most amazing family, it was so nice to know that my kids were well taken care of and in the best hands possible. We enjoyed our trip so much because we didn't have to worry about the kids!! Thanks again everybody)
We are not giving her back!!!!

1 comment:

Chelli said...

Wow!! That was so sweet of your Sis and fun for the kids. Glad you had a fun time!