Monday, November 1, 2010

6th day in the Philippines... Stake Conf. in Lopez..

On our 6th day in the Philippines my parents had a speaking assignment at a Stake Conference in Lopez, a 3 hour drive, so we woke up at 5 and left by 6 to get there at 9, we'll we got there at 9 and found out it didn't start until 10, my dad said that is typical and happens all the time. The AP's drove us to Lopez in the mission van, it was quite the ride, we had to go through a rain forest and as you travel up these skinny mountain roads with pretty sharp curves there is little philippinos standing at the curves waving a flag helping you to see when to turn, my dad started throwing pesos out the window to them, I couldn't believe it but I guess that is what you are supposed to do. When we got to the meeting there were no cars in the parking lot and My mom said that is because everyone rents a jeepney and they all pile in these jeepneys to get to their meetings, I didn't believe it until I saw all the Jeepneys pulling in, people were packed in them like sardines and some were even sitting on the tops of these, they piled out of these hot jeepneys all in their white shirts and dresses, I was so amazed and after the meeting they all go out and sit in their hot jeepneys and eat cold rice and ulam, seriously was quite an experience for me. The meeting again was all in Tagalog so the Elders translated for us, it was a good meeting and mom and dad did so good, The whole manila temple presidency was there speaking too. On our way home we had the lunch that me and mom had packed the night before, we arrived home around 4 and packed up our bags and left for manila around 5, I think we were in the car about 9 hours this day, wow we were exhausted, and after having an awesome dinner at TGIFridays in manila we went back to the Hotel which was so nice and had an awesome nights sleep! Only one more day to go :(

 On our way to Lopez, my dad saw a couple of his Elders so we had to stop, he said that is his favorite thing is to see his Elders on the streets,  This one white Elder had only been out 2 weeks and was having a pretty tough time but he was happy to see my dad
 The first jeepney that pulled in.. I really couldn't believe it.
 Look how many people are in that thing...


 the elders and sisters in Lopez loved seeing my parents..
 all the jeepneys in the parking lot...
 the people after eating their rice and ulam..

 they try to stay cool wherever they can.. but there is no relief from the heat..





No comments: