Monday, February 25, 2008

"Called to Serve again...."

A few posts back I mentioned that My mom and dad had received their mission call to serve in Africa. Well things have changed, let me just give a brief update.
About 3 weeks after receiving their call they received a phone call from Elder Robert D. Hales secretary asking them if they could meet with him, they went and met with him and he issued them a preliminary call to serve as Mission Presidents. They then received a call from Pres. Eyrings secretary and scheduled an appt to meet with him. So on Monday Jan. 28 (the day after our sweet prophet pres. hinkley passed away)they met with Pres. Eyring and he then extended them the actual call to serve as mission presidents. Mom and Dad of course accepted. They later told us that Pres. Eyring was very emotional that day obviously because of the passing of the prophet. anyways they weren't able to tell any of us until after they spoke with pres. eyring, so we all were still thinking they were going to africa. They put together a little family night and told us all about their new assignment. I was so excited but then remembered that now they will be gone for 3 years instead of 18 months. I will survive though and i now that this is where they are supposed to be know matter how bad i will miss them. Anyways they left on a cruise to australia 2 weeks ago and are not coming home until next monday, but their call came on saturday, Dad happened to call that day and told emily to open it. So over the phone we told them where they will be spending the next 3 years, they only had 2 minutes to talk so we didn't get to hear much of their reaction but i was able to talk to them today and they are thrilled and feel totally at peace with it. They have been called to be mission Presidents over the San Pablo Philippines mission. I am so excited for them, i have to be honest though, ithink we were all a little shocked, i was hoping for somewhere a little closer, but i know now that this is a call from the Lord, and that they will fit in perfect with the philippinos. What a blessing. I can't wait to go visit them, hopefully!! Thanks mom and dad for your example. We can't wait to hear about all your amazing experiences you will be having.


Reading the call!!


Checking out their mission web site.

9 comments:

Katie and the boys said...

it was so fun to hear from them today. They seem really excited! Can't wait to have them home, it seems like they have been gone forever.

karlin said...

WOW! I can't believe they are going to the Phillipines! They will be such great mission presidents! I've been anxious to hear where they are going. I love that I can get updates on your family from your blog!

Heidi said...

Sus! hey friend. for some reason I haven't looked at your blog for a while! man, it was fun to catch up with everything. I am so excited to tell you that your parents have been called to JUSTINS MISSION!!! That is so cool! They will be amazing. Maybe we should plan a trip out there together:) Tell them congrats from us:)

Anonymous said...

That's so cool! I've been waiting to hear!

The Shupes said...

So exciting. They will be wonderful. I hope you will be able to go visit them, that would be such a neat experience.

Chelli said...

Wow! That is so exciting for them. Congrats to them!

Christensen Family said...

Oh my gosh, that is so great! I wish we could get my parents to go on a mission--they need to go! I can't imagine 3 years though--you will have to go see them! Good to keep up with ya Susie..

Kari Ann said...

How neat! I am sure that the whole fam will see so many miracles while they are gone. It way so good to see you the other day also. Your boys are so cute! I wish you lived closer.

Emily said...

Sus! Let's be honest, it was only a matter of time until the inevitable happened. They will be so great. Your blog is adorable but that is because your kids are beautiful! p.s. I'm adding you...